Tehri is a comforting and soulful one pot meal from Northern part of India. This dish is form of pulao but more flavorful and has nice crunching of veggies. Basically in sunny winters afternoon we used to have this palatable tehri in lunch with salad, papad, curd & pickle as in India in winters season we get veggies like peas, carrots and cauliflower. Being from UP we love to eat this dish and everyone in my family makes delicious Tehri. I have learned this recipe from my mom with little bit tweek in addition of more veggies to make it more nutritious 😊. If you are looking for more rice recipes, do try Egg Fried Rice (Indo-Chinese), Puliyogare/Tamarind Rice, Turmeric Lemon Rice, Egg Dum Biryani Recipe. So let’s get started.
Cuisine: Main Course, Rice
Recipe Type: Indian
Prep Time: 10-15 Mins
Cook Time: 20-25 Mins
Yields: 5 Portions
- Basmati Rice: 1 cup
- Cauliflower Florets: 1/2 cup (Medium Sized)
- Fresh/Frozen Peas: 1/3 cup
- Potato: 2, peeled, cut into small cubes
- Carrots: 2, peeled, cut into cubes
- Onion: 1, finely sliced (optional)
- French Beans: 8-10, cut into 1″ pieces
- Soya Chunks: 10-15 pieces (optional)
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Ginger-garlic paste: 2 tsp (Optional)
- Ghee/Clarified Butter: 2 tbsp
- Heeng/Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
- Bay leaf: 2
- Cloves: 3-4
- Cinnamon stick: 1/2″
- Black Cardamom: 2
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash & soak rice for 30 mins.
- In a pressure cooker, heat ghee, once hot add heeng, cumin seeds & sauté for 30 seconds. Then add all the whole spices-black & green cardamom, bay leaf, cloves,cinnamon stick & sauté for 1 min or till fragrant.
- Add sliced onions, green chili & fry till the onions are pinkish golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute of till raw smells goes off.
- Add potatoes, cauliflower, peas, carrots, beans, soya chunks along with dry spices-red chili powder, salt, turmeric powder and fry them for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soaked and drained rice to fried veggies and fry gently for 2 mins.
- Add 2 cup of water & cook till 2-3 whistles, switch off the gas & let the steam release naturally.
- Serve hot and vibrant looking tehri with a dollop of ghee on top along with salad, curd & pickle of your choice for a comforting & soulful meal 😊.