Tandoori chicken is one of our most favorite dish esp over the weekend along with chilled beer 😉. My husband loves this dish and I love cooking this for him. The flavor infusion and the lovely crust from the marinade is sensational. Indian tandoori chicken is actually very easy to make at home in the oven. This requires few ingredients which are easily accessible at home or at any Indian grocery store and little preparation ahead of time as more you will marinate the more tastier it will be 😋. Typically tandoori chicken is cooked over charcoal, which gives a nice smoky and rusty flavor to it. But I have cooked it in oven. I have increased the flavors and quantity of my marinade to compensate for the absence of charcoal flavor. So let’s get started without any delay.
Recipe Type: Starters/ Appetizer
Prep Time: 10-15 Mins
Marination Time: Overnight or 3-4 hrs min
Cook Time: 40-45 Mins
- Yogurt/Curd: 1.5-2 cup
- Oil: 3 tbsp ( Mustard oil preferred)
- Lemon Juice: 2 tbsp
- Ginger- Garlic Paste: 3 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder: 2 tsp or as per taste
- Coriander Powder: 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper Powder: 1 tsp or as per taste
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 3 tsp
- Tandoori Mix Spice Powder: 3 tbsp( store bought)
- Few drops of red/orange food color
- Chicken Drumsticks-8
- Oil spray
- Chaat Masala to sprinkle
- In a mixing bowl, add all the marination ingredients except chicken, mix well.
- Wash and clean chicken drumsticks. Give 3-4 slits in each drumstick so that marination can nicely get infused into the flesh.
- Add drumstick in the prepared marination and mix well. Make sure all chicken pieces are coated nicely into the marinade. Cover the bowl with the cling film and put it in the refrigerator and leave it overnight or at least for 3-4 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350 F. Line a tray with foil and place a roach on the tray.
- Take out marinated chicken and place on the rack with a slight distance between each of them. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Bake for 20 mins, turn the chicken and slather marinade on the other side and bake for another 10 mins.
- Take out the tray from the oven, turn the chicken and slather more marinade and spray oil or pour few drops of oil on chicken. Bake for final 10-15 mins or until chicken is cooked. You can check my inserting knife into chicken.
- Once chicken is cooked, Broil for 3-4 mins to get the crispy and slightly smoky flavor and take it out from the oven. Keep an eye at this time else they will get burn.
- Let the chicken rest for 5-10 mins before serving as it helps in absorbing the flavors.
- Sprinkle chaat masala over tandoori chicken. Garnish with onion, lemon wedges/ slices, chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot and crisp with Dhaniya-Pudina Chutney/Cilantro-Mint Dip (No Onion, No Garlic), or any dip of your choice and enjoy.