So here I am again with one of the famous rice recipe from Southern India. Tamarind rice is also known as Pulihora is tangy, mild spicy, flavorful rice tempered with roasted peanuts, lentils and few other ingredients. This rice dish is a staple of all South Indian festivals and also most often served as a ‘Prasad’ at the temples.
A lot of variations can be made while making this dish. I personally feel that tamarind rice taste much better the next day as it absorbs all the flavors. Serve it with some papadums or potato chips on the side and enjoy this delicious meal. If you are looking for more rice recipes then do try Turmeric Lemon Rice, Egg Dum Biryani Recipe. So let’s get started.
Cuisine: South-Indian, Indian
Recipe Type: Main Course, Rice dish
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- Rice: 2 cups cooked and cooled or leftover.
- Tamarind: Small lemon size
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery: 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Dry red chili: 3
- Coriander Seeds: 1 1/2 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds: 3/4 tbsp
- Toor/Arahar Dal: 1 tbsp
- Chana Dal: 1 tbsp
- White sesame Seeds: 1 tbsp
- Sesame Oil/Cooking Oil: 3 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal: 1 tsp
- Chana Dal: 1 tsp
- Roasted Peanuts: 1/4 cup
- Dry Red Chili: 2
- Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
- Asafoetida/Heeng: 1/4 tsp
- Soak the tamarind in sufficient hot water for 10-15 mins, then prepare a tamarind extract by mashing and straining the tamarind along with water.
- Dry roast all the ingredients mentioned in “for grinding”, make sure you don’t over roast these ingredients else they will taste bitter.
- Let them cool to room temp and grind it into a coarse powder.
- Take a wok, add oil once hot add heeng,dry red chili, mustard seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add curry leaves, urad dal, chana dal, peanuts and roast till dal and peanuts turns golden brown.
- Add tamarind extract, salt, turmeric powder and let it boil on medium flame till tamarind extract reduces to a paste like consistency.
- At this stage add the coarse powder and mix well. Keep cooking for few minutes until you get a thick paste with oil oozing out from the sides.
- Add the jaggery, mix well and turn off the stove.
- Finally add cooked rice to this prepared mixture, mix well and leave it to rest and absorb flavors for at least 30 mins.
- Serve hot with some papadums or potato fry and enjoy !!!