Lemon rice is a one pot meal, easy, flavorful, vibrant and ready in 15 mins is a popular rice dish from Southern part of India. People in every part of India eat a lot of rice and temper it with different types of seasoning and ingredients. Every region, infact I must say every home have their own recipe and speciality when it comes to rice dishes. This one as the name suggests is infused with lemony flavor and a great way to utilize left over rice.
Lemon rice can be served with pickle, onion-tomato raita and some popadoms. I usually try to soak chana & urad dal before hand as it gives much better taste and texture but you can add directly as well while tempering. So let’s get started for the recipe of this simple, flavorsome and vibrant lemon rice. If you are looking for more one pot meal recipe, do check Egg Dum Biryani Recipe.
Cuisine: South Indian, Indian
Recipe Type: Main course, Rice-Dish
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- Cooked Rice: 5 cups
- Veg/Olive Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Curry Leaves: 8-10
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Raw Peanuts: 2/3 cup
- Chana Dal/Split Bengal Gram: 1 tbsp
- Urad Dhuli Dal/Split Black Gram Without Skin: 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chili: 3-4
- Heeng/Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice: 2 big lemon (Adjust as per your liking)
- Onion: 1 small, finely chopped (optional)
- Green Chili: 2-3, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Wash chana & urad dal and soak for 15-20 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan, add heeng, mustard seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add chana & urad dal, curry leaves, dry red chili and saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add peanuts and roast till peanuts turn golden in color.
- Add green chili, onion,turmeric powder, salt and saute till onions are translucent.
- Mix well and saute for 1-2 mins.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and mix nicely.
- Serve hot with pickle, raita, popadoms on the side and enjoy !!!