Palak murgh/chicken curry is a delicious yet healthy recipe in which chicken is added to the silky-smooth spinach purée along with few Indian spices. This curry combines all the benefits of spinach(rich in vitamins, minerals, protein & low-fat) & deliciousness of juicy chicken. You can substitute the chicken with paneer/tofu or potato to make a vegetarian version of this curry. You can check the recipe of vegetarian versions here : Palak Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese in Spinach Gravy, Palak Aloo Curry/ Spicy Pureed Spinach with Potatoes.
Palak murgh curry tastes awesome with fresh chapati’s, Plain Paratha (Indian Bread), Homemade Butter Naan/ Indian Flat Bread (No yeast), or even with hot steamed rice. Do try this curry and enjoy with your family and friends. Let’s get started.
If you are looking for more main course curries, do check my recipes of :
- Gatte Ki Sabzi/Chickpea Flour Dumplings In Yogurt Curry
- Chicken Curry- Dhaba Style
- Aloo Tamatar Ki Sabzi/ Potato Tomato Curry-Indian Style (No Onion, No Garlic)
- Boondi Ki Kadhi/ Crunchy Chickpea Puffs in Spicy n Tangy Yogurt Curry (No Onion, No Garlic)
- Egg Curry Recipe(Punjabi or Dhaba Style)
- Arahar ki Dal/ Yellow Split Peas-Classic Indian Lentil Curry
- Kamal Kakdi Aloo ki Sabzi/Lotus Stem & Potato Curry (No Onion, No Garlic)
- Paneer(Cottage Cheese) Butter Masala/Paneer Makhani
- Rajma Masala/Red Kidney Beans Curry-Indian Style
- Kadhi Pakoda/Gram Flour Dumplings in Yogurt Gravy (No Onion, No Garlic)
- Mangodi Aloo Sabzi/Moong Dal Nuggets Curry
- Mutter Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese & Green Peas Curry Recipe
- Chana Masala/ Garbanzo Beans-Indian Curry Recipe
- Lauki Kofta/Opo Squash Dumplings in Curry
Recipe Type: Main Course
Prep Time: 15-20 Mins + 30 Mins for Marination
Cook Time: 30 Mins
- Chicken drumsticks & pieces: 1 kg
- Yogurt: 3 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp
- Meat Masala Powder: 1 tsp
- Ginger/Garlic Paste: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Spinach/Palak: 1 big bunch, remove the stems
- Onion: 1 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 small, puréed
- Green Chili: 1, finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves: 2-3, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1″ piece, finely chopped
- Bay leaves: 2 , small
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Cinnamon Stick: 1 small
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/Heeng: A generous pinch
- Coriander Powder: 1 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 tsp
- Cooking Oil: 3 tbsp
- Cream: 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients mentioned under ” for marination” and mix well. Before adding the chicken make a few cuts on the drumsticks to let the marination soak in well. Cover with cling film & keep in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- Now blanch the spinach leaves. Wash the leaves and add it to a pan of boiling water & cook for 2-3 mins without the lid. Turn off the heat, transfer the leaves in the colander and run it under the cold water, this process helps to retain the green color. Also save the water in which spinach was blanched, it can be used while making gravy.
- Add blanched spinach to a blender & blend it to a smooth paste & keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/deep-bottomed pan, once hot add asafoetida, cumin seeds, bay leaves, green cardamom, cinnamon sticks & sauté for a minute till you get a nice aroma.
- Add chopped chili, ginger, garlic and onions and sauté till golden-brown.
- Add tomato purée, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, mix well and keep stirring in between to avoid the burning of masala. Cook till the oil starts oozing from the masala.
- Add marinated chicken pieces, mix well, cover and cook until chicken is 70-80% done. Keep stirring in between.
- Add spinach purée, mix well & cook for 2 minutes, add little water as per the curry consistency your family prefers, check on the seasoning and cook for another 5-7 mins or till the chicken is completely cooked.
- Lastly add cream, mix well and cook for another 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let it remain covered for few minutes before serving.
- Serve hot with your favorite bread, or rice and enjoy 😊.