Popular South Indian style rice preparation is super quick to make. It is made using very minimal ingredients yet palatable. This flavored rice has a tang from the tomatoes, aroma of curry leaves and crunch of dal. This is a one pot hearty meal that can be enjoyed with curd/ raita, papad, pickle and can be relished for lunch or dinner. Though there are various ways to make tomato rice, but personally I prefer this.
If you are looking for more rice dish, do try my recipe of:
So lets get started with the recipe of tomato rice.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10-15 mins
Cuisine: Indian, South Indian
Recipe Type: Rice dish
- Ghee/Oil: 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Urad dal: 1 tsp
- Chana Dal: 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
- Green Chili: 2, slit into halves
- Onion: 1 large, finely chopped
- Tomato: 3, finely chopped
- Cilantro: 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Heeng/ Asafoetida: A pinch
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 tsp
- Cooked rice: 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Heat ghee/oil in a broad pan/ kadhai, add heeng, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add chana & urad dal, fry them till they turn golden. Then add curry leaves and green chili, fry for few seconds and add chopped onions and sauté till they turn golden- brown in color.
- Add tomatoes,turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt, mix well and continue to cook till tomatoes turn pulpy. Check on seasoning, add if required.
- Add cooked rice, mix gently and cook for a minute or two. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve warm along with curd, papad, pickle and enjoy this hearty meal 😊.