Sprouted moong dal ( green gram lentil) salad is a tasty, healthy salad recipe packed with nutrients and low in calories. This salad can be served in breakfast or along with lunch or dinner. Though it is said that raw sprouted form is much more nutritious than the cooked version, but we make both the versions at our home. The recipe I am sharing today is of cooked version, it is light on tummy as well 😉. This is an easy recipe to prepare which require minimal ingredients. So let’s get started.
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 15 Mins
Recipe Type: Salad
- Sprouted Moong Dal: 2 cups
- Onion: 1 medium-sized, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 small-sized, finely chopped
- Green Chili: 1, finely chopped
- Carrot: 1 grated, optional
- Lemon Juice: 1 tsp
- Cilantro: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Kala namak/ Rock salt: 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee/ Clarified butter: 1/2 tsp
- Heeng/ Asafoetida: A pinch
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- In a pressure cooker, heat ghee, add heeng, cumin seeds, green chili and sauté for few seconds. Add sprouts and very little water, close the lid. Give one whistle and turn off the gas and let the pressure release.
- In a mixing bowl, add onions, tomatoes, carrots, cilantro and boiled sprouts. Sprinkle red chili powder, salt, rock salt, cumin powder, lemon juice and mix gently. Check on seasoning, add if any required.
- Serve this salad warm or chilled, both tastes equally good and enjoy this salad anytime 😊.
- To make sprouts, wash and clean moong dal as per your requirement, transfer in a bowl and add enough water to soak the dal, cover the bowl and let it soak overnight. Drain the water from the Moong next morning and transfer in a strainer and rinse couple of times. Again transfer in the same bowl, add fresh water and soak again for 6-8 hours. Again transfer in strainer and rinse couple of times. Transfer sprouts to a wet cheesecloth and place it over strainer and wrap it around dal and let it rest for another 6-8 hours. Keep sprinkling water on the cheesecloth. Sprouts will be ready.
- You can add small pieces of boiled potatoes in the salad as well.
- If you do not want to boil moong dal in cooker, you can boil it in salted water for 5 minutes, it will be softer.