Egg dum biryani is one of the famous Indian one pot meal rice delicacy. We Indians are in love with this spicy, mildly fragrant rice dish. It is a complete meal in itself prepared with rice, egg/veggies/chicken/mutton along with raw and dry Indian spices cooked together to get this irresistible aromatic dish. It goes well with any raita of your choice.
This biryani recipe is always a winner and made me earn praises whenever I served to my family members or friends. So without any more delay, let’s start with the recipe of egg dum biryani, because I know with the above description only you might have got tempted to make this dish and enjoy with your family and friends this weekend. 😉
Recipe Type: Rice Dishes/Biryani
Prep Time: 15-20 mins
Cook Time: 40-45 mins
Serves: 3-4 person
Cooking Level: Medium
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 medium-sized onions,finely sliced
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, finely sliced
- 4 green chilies, slit
- 2 inch ginger piece, cut into thin strips.
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder ( or as per your spice level)
- 1-2 tbsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1-2 tbsp biryani masala powder
- 1/2 cup, chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup, chopped coriander leaves.
- 3 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Javitri/Mace
- Salt to taste
- 10-12 strands of saffron
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1/3 tsp of red food color powder (optional)
- Water as required
- 1/2 cup whisked curd
- 1 tsp rose-water
- Whole wheat dough to seal.
- Wash and soak rice in water for 20-30 mins.
- Make few slits on the egg white carefully without penetrating dip into the yolks.
- Soak saffron strands in warm milk and keep aside.
- Mix 1/3 tsp of red food color in 2-3 tbsp of water and keep aside.
- Now add about 1.5-2 ltrs of water in a large vessel and bring it to boil. Once boil add 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 1 mace,1 bay leaf to it and add the soaked rice to this. Stir gently and cook rice until its 3/4 done. Strain the rice immediately and let it cool. Adding dry spices in water is optional, it enhances the flavor of rice. If you are in hurry you can skip and directly put soaked rice in boiling water.
- On the other hand, take deep bottomed pan, add oil, once heated add 1 sliced onion and fry until brown. Remove it on the tissue paper to absorb excess oil. This will be used for garnishing.
- To the same pan, add oil and ghee, once hot, add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves, green & black cardamom , mace and sauté them for 1-2 mins.
- Add remaining sliced onions and green chilies and sauce till onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell goes off.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté well, once tomatoes are slightly mushy, add chili powder,turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, biryani masala powder, salt and sauté well for 2-3 mins.
- Add yogurt, half of the mint leaves and sauté for another 1-2 mins.
- Add boiled eggs to this mixture and mix gently till eggs get coated with this masala, cover the pan and cook for 2-3 mins on low flame.
- Now spread the rice over this masala and eggs evenly.
- Sprinkle mint leaves, coriander leaves,ginger strips,little salt, and little biryani masala and drizzle some rose-water, saffron-milk mixture, food color mixture( if using) and cover the pan and seal the edges with the whole wheat dough.
- Place the pan on a heated tawa/griddle and let it cook/dum for 20 mins on low flame.
- Serve hot and enjoy this lip smacking, aromatic egg dum biryani with salad and raita of your choice.
- You can also fry boiled eggs in little bit of oil before adding them into onion-tomato paste.
- If you don’t have whole wheat dough handy, you can also use aluminum foil. Cut foil little more as per the diameter of the pan, now with this cover the pan and then put on the lid. With this edges will be sealed and steam won’t come out of the pan.