Oh this classic Indian pancakes made with besan/chickpea flour is a popular breakfast in Northern part of India. This is also known as vegetarian omelette 😉. There are different veggies combinations one can use, like tomato, bell peppers, methi/fenugreek leaves, spinach, grated carrots, cabbage etc, choice is totally yours. I usually use onions, green chilies and coriander/ cilantro leaves. This is one of my favorite to go breakfast recipe, I just love it. Especially if anyone in the family has cold/ running nose, my mom makes besan chilla and serve along with crispy toast , I don’t how medically it works, but yes it always worked for all of us in the family 😁. Do try this recipe, serve hot with toast along with ketchup of coriander dip and enjoy in breakfast or as evening snacks with hot cup of tea or coffee. So let’s get started.
If you are looking for more breakfast recipes, do try:
Recipe Type: Breakfast/ Snacks
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5-7 mins
Serves: 8 cheela’s
- Besan/ Chikpea Flour-1 cup
- Ajwain/ Carom Seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder- 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Onion- 1 small sized, finely chopped
- Green chili- 1, finely chopped
- Cilantro/ Coriander Leaves- 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Yogurt/ Curd- 1/4 cup
- Water as required
- Oil as required to fry
- Chaat masala to sprinkle
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, ajwain, turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder and mix well.
- Add the veggies of your choice and mix well, so all the veggies are coated with dry ingredients.
- Add yogurt and mix well .
- Add little water at a time and make a lump free batter. Batter should be of right consistency not too thick nor too runny. Check on salt after adding water.
- Heat pan/ Tara on medium heat. Once hot drizzle few drops of oil and wipe it carefully with tissue.
- Pour a ladleful of batter and spread gently to make a round shape pancake. Pour drops of oil on all the sides of cheela and let it cook till golden brown in color. Don’t cook on high flame as it will be quickly brown but besan will be raw from inside which will ruin the taste.
- Pour few drops of oil on top and flip it using spatula. Cook this side also till golden brown in color.
- Sprinkle little chaat masala and remove it from the gas.
- Repeat the same with rest of the batter.
- Serve hot and crisp with chutney or ketchup and enjoy 😊