Punjabi style curried eggs in thick, rich, flavorful onion-tomato gravy is a lip-smacking curry and taste super yummy with fresh chapati/paratha or steamed plain/zeera rice. Usually this type of egg curry you will find in every Dhaba’s in Northern part of India. This dish is great when you are not in mood to cook something elaborate but wish to make something quick & delicious. If you are looking for more egg recipe, do try Egg Fried Rice (Indo-Chinese), Egg Masala/Egg Roast-Indian Style, Egg Dum Biryani Recipe. So try this recipe for diner on any busy day and enjoy 😊.
Cuisine: Indian, Punjabi
Recipe Type: Main Course
Prep Time: 10-15 Mins
Cook Time: 30 Mins
- Hard Boiled Eggs: 5
- Onion: 2 small, roughly chopped
- Tomato: 1, medium-sized, roughly chopped
- Green Chili: 2, roughly chopped
- Ginger-Garlic Paste: 2 tsp
- Cooking Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Bay leaf: 1 small
- Cinnamon stick: 1 small
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Cloves: 2
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp or as per taste
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 tsp or as per taste
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water: 2 cups or adjust as per desired consistency
- Coriander/Cilantro: 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Purée onions, green chili together & set them aside. Separately puree tomatoes as well.
- Remove the shells of boiled eggs & prick them with the fork randomly.
- Take a deep bottomed pan, add little oil, once hot saute eggs until golden brown in color & set aside.
- In the same pan, add more oil, once hot, add bay leaf, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves & sauté for a minute.
- Add ginger-garlic paste& sauté till raw smell goes off.
- Add onion paste & sauté till golden brown.
- Add tomato purée & saute till thickens.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder & salt. Fry till the raw smells of masala goes & oil starts oozing out of the gravy.
- Add water, cook until the gravy thickens as per your desired consistency, check salt & adjust if needed.
- Add fried eggs, mix gently & cook covered for 3-4 mins.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves & relish with fresh rice or bread of your choice 😊.