Aloo tamatar ki sabzi is made in many ways & everyone has their own take on this curry. This curry recipe which I am sharing today is normally made in Northern part of India on occasions like marriage, puja, any small occasions or even as a regular meal curry & served along with pooris, parathas or even with zeera rice.
This is no onion-no garlic recipe, so I often make it on fasting/vrat days with poori. If you are looking for more curries, do try my recipe’s of:
- Boondi Ki Kadhi/ Crunchy Chickpea Puffs in Spicy n Tangy Yogurt Curry (No Onion, No Garlic)
- Egg Curry Recipe(Punjabi or Dhaba Style)
- Kamal Kakdi Aloo ki Sabzi/Lotus Stem & Potato Curry (No Onion, No Garlic)
- Palak Aloo Curry/ Spicy Pureed Spinach with Potatoes
- Rajma Masala/Red Kidney Beans Curry-Indian Style
- Mutter Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese & Green Peas Curry Recipe
- Palak Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese in Spinach Gravy
- Paneer(Cottage Cheese) Butter Masala/Paneer Makhani
- Chana Masala/ Garbanzo Beans-Indian Curry Recipe
- Kadhi Pakoda/Gram Flour Dumplings in Yogurt Gravy (No Onion, No Garlic)
- Arahar ki Dal/ Yellow Split Peas-Classic Indian Lentil Curry
So let’s get started, try it out over the weekend and enjoy with hot poori’s with your family & friends.
Cuisine: Indian, North-Indian
Recipe Type: Main Course
Prep Time: 15-20 Mins
Cook Time: 15-20 Mins
- Boiled, Peeled Potatoes: 5, medium-sized
- Tomato: 2 medium-sized
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Grated Ginger: 1 tsp
- Heeng/Asafoetida: 2 pinch
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Dry Whole Red Chili: 2-3
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1.5 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder: 1 tsp
- Kasuri Methi/Dry Fenugreek Leaves: 1 tsp
- Ghee/Oil: 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Break boiled potatoes in small pieces & keep it aside.
- Make tomato puree in a mixer/blender & keep it aside.
- Heat the kadhai/wok at medium heat, add oil, once hot add heeng, cumin seeds, dry red chili, green chili, ginger & saute for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder & mix well.
- Add tomato purée, salt, mix well & cook till oil starts separating from tomatoes. Keep stirring every few minutes to avoid burning.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder & mix them for 2-3 mins.
- Add potatoes, saute well & cook them with masala for 3-4 mins.
- Add 1 cup of water, mix gently & cook for another 5 mins.
- Add kasuri methi, dry mango powder, mix well. Smash 2-3 pieces of potato with spatula. This will give thickness & taste to the gravy . Cook for another 2-3 mins & turn off the gas.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, serve hot with poori’s or paratha’s & enjoy 😋.
- You can add Kashmiri red chili powder as well while making curry, if you want red color curry.
- Boil potatoes ahead of time & cool them before adding to the gravy.
- You can add water to the curry as per your taste, curry can be made semi-dry or runny.
- You can also add green peas to this curry.