Leftover dal paratha is one of the quick, healthy yet yummy breakfast, lunch or brunch recipe & can be enjoyed with any form of curd or your favorite pickle. I have learned all these varieties of leftover dal paratha’s from my mom. This way I am able to utilize leftover dal I have in the fridge next morning 😉.
If you are looking for more Indian breads, do try my recipe’s of:
- Plain Paratha (Indian Bread)
- Chana Dal Stuffed Paratha/Bengal Gram Lentil Stuffed Indian Flat Bread (No Onion-No Garlic)
- Paneer Paratha/Indian Cottage Cheese Mix Stuffed Indian Flatbread
- Dal Ka Paratha/Lentil Flatbread
- Aloo Paratha/ Whole wheat bread stuffed with spicy potato mixture
- Gobhi Paratha/Whole Wheat Bread Stuffed with Spicy Cauliflower Mixture
- Homemade Butter Naan/ Indian Flat Bread (No yeast)
- Bhature(All Purpose Flour Deep Fried Puffed Indian Bread Recipe)-Without Yeast
So without any delay let’s get started.
Recipe Type: Breakfast, Indian Breads
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 15-20 Mins
Serves: 10-12 Parathas
- Whole Wheat Flour: 1 1/2 cup
- Leftover Massor Dal: 3/4 cup (If you don’t have leftover dal, refer notes)
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp or as per taste
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Ajwain/Carom Seeds: 1/4 tsp (Optional)
- Green Chili: 1-2, finely chopped
- Onion: 1 small, finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves: 2-3, finely chopped (Optional)
- Coriander Leaves: 3 tbsp, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Water as needed for dough prep
Making The Dough:
- In a bowl put whole wheat flour along with salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, ajwain & mix well.
- Add chopped green chili, onions, coriander leaves & leftover dal. Mix thoroughly using your fingertips till everything is well combined.
- Once mixed, add little water as needed & knead into soft & smooth dough.
- Cover & let it rest for 15-20 mins.
- Finally apply few drops of oil on a dough & knead again.
Making Dal Paratha:
- Divide the dough into 10-11 equal portions. Make smooth balls & flatten them between your palms & make discs.
- Now take each disc at a time, dust both the sides into the dry flour.
- Roll into 6-7 inch diameter circle. While rolling, if it sticks then you can dust with more dry flour.
- Heat the taw/pan on medium-high heat. Once hot place the rolled paratha on it.
- Once you start noticing the bubbles on top, flip the paratha & cook on other sides for few seconds.
- Now apply oil on the top, flip it & cook by lightly pressing using spatula.
- Again apply oil on top, flip and cook the same way till you have golden brown spots on both the sides.
- Repeat the same process for rest of the paratha’s.
- Serve hot with curd, raita or any pickle of your choice & enjoy 😉.
- If you don’t have leftover dal, you can freshly boil it, cool it and make these delicious paratha’s anytime.
- Wash 1 -1.5 cups of masoor dal, add in a pressure cooker along with 2 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and 2 cups of water. Give 3-4 whistles on high flame and cook for another 5-7 mins on low flame and turn off the gas. Once the whistle gets released, open it mash it with flat spatula or potato masher and transfer into a bowl.
- Once cool, you can start making the dough as mentioned above and make paratha’s.