Aloo mutter sabzi is mildly spiced, a bit tangy and flavorful side dish which goes well with roti, pooris, or with Plain Paratha (Indian Bread), also can be served with simple dal & steamed rice. Usually as a kid we used to have this dish esp in winters as fresh peas used to come in that season. The sweetness of fresh pea & flavor of spices along with potatoes…takes me back to my childhood memories. I have tweaked it little by adding kasuri methi instead of coriander leaves, kasuri methi gives nice taste and aroma to this dish. If you don’t like flavor of kasuri methi you can replace it with chopped coriander leaves. Now as frozen peas is available, so I make whenever I want to make 😉. I make variations of aloo mutter sabzi, this is one the recipe from my kitchen.
If you are looking for more side dishes, do try my recipe of Simla Mirch Paneer Ki Sabzi/Capsicum Indian Cottage Cheese Stir Fry, Parwal Aloo Sabzi/Pointed Gourd-Potato Stir Fry (No Onion, No Garlic), Aloo Baigan Ki Sabzi/Potato-Eggplant Dry Curry (No Onion, No Garlic): Indian Style, Baigan ka Bharta/Spicy Mashed Eggplant-Indian Style, Aloo Gobhi Sabzi/Potato-Cauliflower with Indian spices, Bhindi Masala/Okra Masala Stir Fry, Jeera Aloo/ Spicy Cumin Potatoes, Bharwan Karela/Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe, Gajar Matar Sabji/ Carrot & Peas Stir Fry- (No Onion, No Garlic).
Cuisine: Indian, North-Indian
Recipe Type: Side-Dish
Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 25-30 Mins
- Aloo/Potato: 3 medium-sized, peeled, washed, cut into small cubes
- Fresh/Frozen Peas: 3/4 cup
- Jeera/Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Heeng/Asafoetida: A generous pinch
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1″, finely chopped
- Cooking Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Kasuri Methi/Dry Fenugreek Leaves: 2 tsp, crushed
- Take a deep bottomed pan, heat the oil, once hot add heeng, cumin seeds & let them sizzle.
- Add chopped ginger, chili & saute for few seconds.
- Add potatoes, peas, turmeric powder, salt & cook for 8-10 mins with closed lid. Keep stirring in between to avoid burning.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, stir well & cook again with closed lid till potatoes & peas are soft & cooked. Keep stirring in between.
- Add dry mango powder, garam masala powder, kasuri methi, mix well & cook for another 5-7 mins without lid.
- Serve hot with roti/paratha or as a side with steaming rice & dal..enjoy 😊.