Paratha is a flat, thick piece of unleavened bread fried on a griddle. Paratha is an amalgamation of the words parat and atta which means layers of cooked dough. These flatbread is one of the most popular bread, mostly popular in Northern part of India. Whether dipped in a savory curry, stuffed with potato, cauliflower or any veggies or simply eaten by itself with pickle & paired with hot cup of tea or coffee will enhance your taste buds and are super easy, quick to make & is sure to be a hit in your family.
If you are looking for more Indian breads, do try my recipe’s of Chana Dal Stuffed Paratha/Bengal Gram Lentil Stuffed Indian Flat Bread (No Onion-No Garlic), Paneer Paratha/Indian Cottage Cheese Mix Stuffed Indian Flatbread, Bhature(All Purpose Flour Deep Fried Puffed Indian Bread Recipe)-Without Yeast, Homemade Butter Naan/ Indian Flat Bread (No yeast), Dal Ka Paratha/Lentil Flatbread, Aloo Paratha/ Whole wheat bread stuffed with spicy potato mixture, Gobhi Paratha/Whole Wheat Bread Stuffed with Spicy Cauliflower Mixture. So let’s get started.
Cuisine: Indian, North-Indian
Recipe Type: Breads
Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 10 Mins
Serves: 8-10 paratha
- Atta/Wheat Flour: 2 cups + 2-3 tbsp for dusting
- Luke Warm Water: 1 cup
- Oil: 1-2 tbsp
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- In a bowl, add flour, oil, salt & mix well.
- Keep adding water, a little at a time & knead to form a soft, smooth, non-sticky dough.
- Once done, cover with a kitchen towel & let it rest for 20-30 mins.
- Divide the dough into equal portions, dust with some flour & start rolling out into a round even paratha. It should be not too thin nor too thick.
- Heat the tawa/griddle pan, once hot place the rolled paratha & cook for few seconds till brown bubbles start appearing, then flip to the other side.
- Flip again, drizzle oil and spread all over & fry till it’s slightly puff and gets beautiful golden color. Do the same on another side as well.
- Remove from the pan and repeat the same process with the remaining rolled paratha’s.
- Serve hot & enjoy with your favorite curry 😊.