Parwal aloo is a simple yet tasty side dish which adds so much more flavor to a simple & humble daily meal of dal, chapati & rice. Parwal is rich in Vitamin A & C along with a good source of trace minerals. It is also known by many names in India-Potol, Kaadu, Potla are few to name.
There are many varieties we can make with parwal like stuffed parwal, parwal-aloo curry. You can cut the parwal in desired shape & size. I prefer cutting aloo-parwal like fries, thinly sliced. When you cut parwal & come across a ripe parwal with yellow inside & hard seeds, scrape the portion out before cooking. This recipe requires very few ingredients along with few spices & quick to make.If you are looking for more side-dishes, do check my recipes of Aloo Baigan Ki Sabzi/Potato-Eggplant Dry Curry (No Onion, No Garlic): Indian Style, Baigan ka Bharta/Spicy Mashed Eggplant-Indian Style, Bhindi Masala/Okra Masala Stir Fry, Bharwan Karela/Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe, Aloo Gobhi Sabzi/Potato-Cauliflower with Indian spices, Jeera Aloo/ Spicy Cumin Potatoes. So let’s get started.
Recipe Type: Side-Dish
Prep Time: 5-10 Mins
Cook Time: 25-30 Mins
- Parwal/Pointed Gourd: 7-8 medium-sized
- Aloo/Potato: 2, medium-sized
- Green Chili: 1, finely chopped
- Mustard Oil: 1 tbsp (Or any cooking oil)
- Heeng/Asafeotida: A generous pinch
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Chopped Cilantro Leaves: 1 tbsp
- Wash & wipe the parwal. Cut both the ends of parwal & slice into thin long slices.
- Peel & wash the potatoes, slice the potatoes also thin, long slices.
- In a deep bottomed pan, add mustard oil, once hot & slightly smoky, add heeng, cumin seeds, green chili & let them crackle.
- Add sliced parwal, aloo, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder. Stir it well, make sure that the spice mix coats the vegetables well enough.
- Cover the pan with the lid & cook on medium hot flame for about 10-15 mins. Stir 4-5 times in between.
- Open the lid, once the parwal & potatoes are soft enough, add dry mango powder, garam masala powder & cook for another 10- 15 mins without the lid.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves mix well & serve hot with any lentil, chapati or rice.