Masala Idli/Idli Fry is a palatable Indian snack or breakfast which is made either with button idli or with regular idli cut into 4 pieces along with few spices. These are very tasty, spicy, quick to make & goes well with Coconut Chutney/Dip, Dhaniya Chutney/Coriander Dip Recipe. Usually it is made with special masala called “Podi/Pudi” masala, but I use my own combination of spices as per my taste palate 😉.
To make this you would require few ingredients like Idli(Steamed rice cake)/Dosa(South Indian Thin Crepe) Homemade Batter Recipe, Steamed Idli/South Indian Rice Cake Recipe along with few spices & curry leaves for tempering. So without any delay let’s get started 😁.
Recipe Type: Breakfast, Snacks
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
- Regular Idli’s: 6-8
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
- Chaat Masala: 1/2 tsp
- Sambhar Masala: 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chili: 2-3
- Green Chili: 2, slit into 2
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil: 1 tbsp
- Chopped coriander/cilantro leaves to garnish
- Cut regular idli’s into 4 pieces, if using button idli’s then use whole. (In the starting para I have attached the link’s of idli batter & how to make idli recipe).
- In a deep bottomed pan, add oil, once hot, add mustard seeds & let them crackle.
- Add curry leaves, dry red chili, green chili & sauté for few seconds.
- Add sambhar powder, salt & sauté for few seconds.
- Add idli pieces, mix gently till the masala gets nicely coated on the idli pieces. Fry it nicely for 4-5 mins.
- Sprinkle chaat masala & chopped cilantro, mix well & turn off the gas.
- Serve hot with any dip of your choice & hot cup of coffee ☕️.