Stuffed chana dal paratha is also known as Bikaneri Paratha is basically an Indian flat bread stuffed with protein rich lentil & few Indian spices. This is a power packed recipe which keeps you energized all the day & can be served at any time of the day with any curry, or simply with curd & pickle of your choice. If you are looking for more Indian flat breads, do check my recipe’s of Paneer Paratha/Indian Cottage Cheese Mix Stuffed Indian Flatbread, Gobhi Paratha/Whole Wheat Bread Stuffed with Spicy Cauliflower Mixture, Aloo Paratha/ Whole wheat bread stuffed with spicy potato mixture, Dal Ka Paratha/Lentil Flatbread, Homemade Butter Naan/ Indian Flat Bread (No yeast) So try out my recipe and enjoy this lip smacking parathas with your family this weekend.
Recipe Type: Breads
Prep Time: 10 Mins
Soaking Time: 2-3 hours
Cook Time: 30 Mins
Yields: 6-8 parathas
To Cook Chana Dal Stuffing:
- Chana Dal/Bengal Gram: 1 cup
- Ginger: 1 tsp, grated
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Heeng/Asafoetida: 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Bay Leaf: 1
- Cinnamon Stick: 1, small piece
- Black Cardamom: 1
- Cooking Oil as per need
For the Dough:
- Atta/All Purpose Flour: 2 cup
- Salt: 1/2 tsp
- Ghee/Oil: 1 tsp
- Water as needed
To Make Dough:
- In a big bowl, mix wheat flour, oil & salt.
- Mix & rub the flour to get oil & salt mix well.
- Add water little by little to knead, make a soft & smooth dough.
- Cover with damp cloth & let it rest for about 20-30 mins.
To Make Chana Dal Stuffing:
- Take a pressure cooker, add oil, once hot, add heeng, cumin seeds, once they start to splutter, add bay leaf, cinnamon stick, black cardamom, green chili, ginger & saute for a min or till fragrant.
- Add soaked chana dal, turmeric powder, salt, 1.5 cup of water to the cooker & pressure cook the dal for 2-3 whistles and then on low flame for another 10 mins. turn off the gas and let the pressure gets released naturally.
- Take out the cooked & mashed dal in a bowl, take out the whole spice added & let this mixture get fully cooled before stuffing.
To Make Parathas:
- Make small balls of the dough. Take one dough ball & roll it out with a rolling-pin. Take a small amount of filling & place in the center of the rolled dough.
- Wrap the dough around the filling, close & seal it from all the sides.
- Dust some flour & lightly flatten the dough with hand.
- Roll out gently to make a round paratha.
- Heat the tawa/griddle on medium heat, once hot, place the paratha on it.
- Cook on both the sides, once small brown bubbles start appearing smear some oil evenly on both sides of paratha & cook until parathas have beautiful golden-brown color both the sides.
- Serve hot with curd, pickle or any curry of your choice 😁.