Carrot is one of my favorite veggie & like any savory dishes & desserts prepared by it. But yes as a child I didn’t relish it much irrespective of my mom telling to have carrots daily as it is good for health but then slowly gradually I started liking 😊.
This recipe has a perfect balance of sweetness of carrots and peas along with flavors of few Indian spices and the result is tasty, vibrant looking dish. This dish tastes yummy with dal, chapatis or parathas. So let’s get started.
Recipe Type: Side-Dish
Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 30 Mins
- Carrots: 5-6 medium sized, rinsed, peeled & chopped.
- Green Peas: About 100 gms ( Thawed if frozen)
- Ginger: 1″ knob, finely chopped
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Heeng/ Asafoetida: A generous pinch
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil: 1 tbsp
- Coriander/ Cilantro: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Once hot add heeng, cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add green chili, ginger and fry for couple of seconds.
- Add chopped carrots, peas along with turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and let it cook with a lid on at medium heat for couple of minutes. Keep stirring in between to avoid it getting burnt.
- Once the carrots starts getting tender, add coriander powder, Garam masala powder, red chili powder, mix well and let it cook for few more minutes with a lid on.
- Once carrots are tender enough, add dry Mango powder, mix well and cook for more 10 minutes without the lid.
- Add cilantro and mix well.
- Serve hot with fresh chapatis or parathas 😊.