Arahar dal (split pigeon peas) is one of the most popular Indian dals served at home and also one of the most comfort food at my home as well :). In cooking there is no ” one right” way to cook or flavor each dish. Each family has their own way to cook dishes using spice blend they prefer. Thus each recipe of arahar dal you will search is going to be slightly different from each other.
The recipe I am sharing is very simple, easy to cook & tempering with ghee, cumin seeds & heeng makes it so aromatic & tasteful lentil curry. So let’s get started.
Recipe Type: Main Course
Prep Time: 5 Mins
Soaking Time: 30 Mins
Cook Time: 15 Mins
- Arahar Dal/Toor Dal/ Yellow Pigeon Peas: 1 cup
- Water: 3 cup or adjusted as per the consistency preferred
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Heeng/Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
- Ghee/Clarified Butter: 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chili: 3-4
- Salt to taste
- Wash & soak dal in water for 1/2 hour.
- Take a pressure cooker, add soaked dal along with 3 cups of water, salt & turmeric powder. Cover the lid & cook until 3-4 whistles.
- Let the pressure get released naturally.
- Keep the dal aside & prepare tempering for it.
- Heat ghee in a tadka pan, once hot add cumin seeds, let them sizzle, add heeng, dry red chili and red chili powder.
- Add this tempering to cooked dal & cover for 5-10 mins before serving as it helps absorbing flavors into dal.
- Serve hot with chapati or steamed rice and enjoy :).