This dish is one of the popular side-dish from Northern part of India. Potatoes and eggplants are well paired with few Indian spices and tempering, main flavor of this dish comes mainly from its tempering.
I love this side-dish with hot dal, roti and rice but also goes well with hot parathas. The recipe I am sharing today is again without onion-garlic. Personally in my cooking esp side-dishes I use less onion-garlic, as I feel adding onion-garlic in every dish suppresses the flavor of that particular veggie, hence all the dishes tasting the same. If you are looking for more side-dish recipes, do check Baigan ka Bharta/Spicy Mashed Eggplant-Indian Style, Aloo Gobhi Sabzi/Potato-Cauliflower with Indian spices, Jeera Aloo/ Spicy Cumin Potatoes, Bharwan Karela/Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe, Khatta Metha Kaddu(Pumpkin)/Sweet’n’Sour Old Squash-Indian Style, Bhindi Masala/Okra Masala Stir Fry. So without further delay, let’s get started.
Recipe Type: Side- Dish
Prep Time: 10-15 mins
Cook Time: 20-25 mins
- Small Brinjals: 1/2 kgs, washed & cut into long slices
- Potatoes: 2, peeled, washed & cut into long slices
- Tomato: 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1″ knob, finely chopped
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Coriander/Cilantro Leaves” 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 2 tsp
- Red Chili POwder: 1/2-1 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder: 1.5 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Heeng/Asafoetida: A generous pinch
- Cooking Oil: 2 tbsp
For Tempering:(All these ingredients together are known as “Panch-Phoran”)
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Kalonji/Nigella Seeds: 1/4 sp
- Ajwain/Carom Seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a deep pan/kadhai. Once hot add heeng, tempering ingredients and let them sizzle.
- Add chopped potatoes & ginger. Add turmeric powder, saute well & cover the pan for approx 4-5 mins on low flame.
- Now add brinjals & salt, saute well. Cover & cook on low heat till both the veggies are almost cooked. Keep stirring in between.
- Add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, red chili powder, dry mango powder, garam masala powder and mix gently.
- Cover & cook on low heat for 1-2 mins.
- Remove the lid, mix well & let it cook for more 2-3 mins without covering & then switch off the gas.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves & serve hot with dal & chapati :).