Whenever there is any festival coming, I get a reason to make delicious Indian sweets and refresh all my childhood memories when my mom used to make all these delicacies on all the festivals or any special occasions. I made this coconut burfi on the occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi.
This burfi is one of the simple & quick Indian desserts to make. I have tasted coconut burfi at so many places, best of sweet shops but none can beat the taste & softness of my Grandmother’s hands, she makes the best & most delicious coconut burfi. I still remember when in summer vacations we used to visit her she used to make so many variety of sweets for us and coconut burfi was one of them as it was my favorite. I feel the love, affection and bonding between grandchildren & grandparents is beyond any relation :).
If you are looking for more Indian desserts please do check my recipe of Meve ki Kheer/Dry Fruits Indian Pudding, Besan Ke Ladoo/Chickpea Flour Fudge Balls-Indian Dessert, Chawal Ki Kheer/Indian Rice Pudding Recipe. So without any further delay let’s get started with the recipe of coconut burfi.
Recipe Type: Desserts
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
Serves: 9-10 pieces
- Freshly/Packed Grated Coconut: 1 cup (I have used packed grated coconut)
- Sugar: 3/4 cup
- Water: 1/4 cup
- Cardamom Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Ghee: 1 tsp
- Grease a plate with ghee & keep aside.
- Heat a deep bottomed pan/kadhai on medium flame, add sugar & water. Stir continuously until the sugar dissolves. Let it continue to cook until it reaches “one-string consistency”. One string consistency means if you take a little bit of the sugar syrup between your fingers, you should get one continuous string formed between the fingers.
- Add cardamom powder and combine well.
- Add grated coconut powder and keep stirring continuously. When the mixture starts to thicken & move without sticking the sides, that’s the right consistency.
- Turn off the gas. Transfer the mixture immediately to the greased plate. Gently press on top to even it out.
- Let the mixture cool down slightly for 2-3 mins & then cut the burfi in a desired shape using a knife.
- Then let the burfi cool down completely to the room temperature before serving.