Uttapams are toothsome, filling South Indian snack/breakfast dish. It is basically a thick pancake, made with dosa batter topped with juicy onions, tangy tomatoes, crunchy capsicum, green chilli and coriander leaves add to the zesty flavor to this uttapam, making it really tempting and vibrating treat for your palate.
My love for South Indian cuisine is never-ending and I usually make these hot uttapams in breakfast over the weekends. My mom makes lip smacking South Indian dishes, and I have learned mostly things from her and then when I moved to Bangalore after marriage, I came to know more detailed versions of cooking South Indian delicacies. If you are looking for more South Indian dishes, do try Puliyogare/Tamarind Rice, Turmeric Lemon Rice, Steamed Idli/South Indian Rice Cake Recipe, Semiya(Sevia)/Vermicelli Upma-Indian Style, Pesarattu/Green Moong Lentil Dosa(Indian Crepes), Paper Dosa/South Indian Thin Crepe Recipe. So let’s get started.
Cuisine: South Indian
Recipe Type: Breakfast/Snacks
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Serve: 4 Uttapams
- Dosa Batter Idli(Steamed rice cake)/Dosa(South Indian Thin Crepe) Homemade Batter Recipe: 1 cup
- Onion: 1 small, finely chopped
- Tomatoes: 1 small, finely chopped
- Capsicum: 4 tbsp, finely chopped (optional)
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Cilantro/Coriander Leaves: 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Sambhar Powder: 2 tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Water as needed
- Combine the dosa batter with little water, salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat a non stick tawa, sprinkle little oil drops and water, once it sizzles wipe off using a tissue.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tawa, spread in a circular motion to make a thick uttapam.
- Sprinkle onions, tomatoes, capsicum, green chili, cilantro and a generous pinch of sambhar powder and press the veggies lightly using a flat ladle. Sprinkling sambhar powder just add a flavor to the uttampas, it’s totally optional.
- Pour drops of oil on it and over the edges and cook on a medium flame for 2 mins till light brown from both the sides.
- Serve immediately with sambhar or coconut chutney.