This burger is a fusion snack recipe that combines Indian traditional chaat and Western fast food very well and the result is this lip-smacking dish. Oh these crispy and spicy potato patties in between the burger buns, topped with tomato, onion, lettuce, cheese and ketchup. Though I have not added lettuce in this burger as I made it for my friend’s daughter who is not fond of lettuce, so instead I topped it with cherry ;).
I still remember the taste of my mom’s homemade burgers. In my teens we didn’t have much options of going out for fast foods neither we had McDonald’s that time, but my mom was always keen to try new recipes and home-made burgers with variety of patties were one of them. The burgers we make at home are very simple and smaller in terms of layers added to it, frankly I can’t manage to eat those huge burgers ;). Tikki/patties is made from boiled potatoes and green peas with few Indian spices. Though you can any boiled veggies of your choice but then it will be veggie patty not aloo tikki patty. If you are looking for more fusion cooking do try Veg Hakka Noodles. So let’s get started.
Cuisine: Indian Fusion
Recipe Type: Snacks/Breakfast
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Serve: 4, medium-sized burger
- Potatoes: 3 medium-sized, boiled and peeled
- Green Peas: 3/4 cup, boiled
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Cilantro/Coriander Leaves: 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Chaat Masala: 2 tsp
- Cumin Powder: 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Juice: 1 tsp
- Bread Crumbs: 1/4 cup
- Oil: 2-3 tbsp, for shallow frying the patties
For Buns & Topping:
- Burger Buns: 4
- Onion: 1 small, sliced
- Tomato: 1 small, sliced
- Cucumber: 1 small, sliced (optional)
- Lettuce: 4 leaves (optional)
- Mayonnaise: 2 tbsp
- Ketchup: 4 tbsp
- Green Chili Sauce: 2 tbsp
- Cheese Slices: 4 (optional)
- Butter: To toast buns
- Add boiled potatoes and peas in a bowl, mash together using masher.
- Add green chili, cilantro, red chili powder, chaat masala, cumin powder, salt, lemon juice and mix well.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and make patties. Adjust the size and thickness of your patty as per your burger bun size.
- Transfer bread crumbs in a small plate and dip one patty at a time and coat all sides well with the bread crumbs and keep aside for few minutes.
- Now heat butter in a pan on medium heat and toast the buns till golden in color and keep aside.
- Add oil in the same pan, gently place the patty and fry till golden brown on both the sides.
- If you are adding cheese slice, then place cheese slice on top of the patty once it is cooked, this way cheese will get slightly melt.
- In a bowl mix mayonnaise, ketchup and green chili sauce and mix well.
- Apply a tbsp on this mix on the inner side of the bottom bun and place lettuce leaf on it, if using.
- Gently lift the cooked patty using spatula and place it on the bun.
- Arrange onion, tomato, cucumber sliced on top of it.
- Close the burger with top bun.
- Serve hot and crispy with french fries or potato wedges and any dip of your choice.