Baigan ka Bharta, is a very popular Punjabi, North Indian dish. There are two most common ways to make this dish one by roasting eggplant on gas stove directly or roast it in the oven and another is by boiling the eggplant in the pressure cooker, it saves little time and is a blessing when you are in hurry.
Baigan ka bharta is served as a side with hot dal, chapati and steamed rice also goes well with makki ki roti and I have some weird liking to have bharta with bread, I know it sounds funny but I enjoy this and simply love it. If you are looking for more side-dishes do check my recipes of Aloo Gobhi Sabzi/Potato-Cauliflower with Indian spices, Bharwan Karela/Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe, Jeera Aloo/ Spicy Cumin Potatoes, Khatta Metha Kaddu(Pumpkin)/Sweet’n’Sour Old Squash-Indian Style, Bhindi Masala/Okra Masala Stir Fry. So let’s get started.
Cuisine: Indian, North Indian, Punjabi
Recipe Type: Side-dish
Prep Time: 15-20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- Brinjal/Eggplant: 2 medium-sized
- Onion: 1 medium-sized, finely chopped
- Tomatoes: 2 medium-sized, finely chopped
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Ginger-Garlic paste: 2 tsp
- Green peas (fresh/frozen): 1/2 cup
- Coriander/Cilantro: 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Veg/Olive Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Ghee/Clarified Butter: 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Heeng/Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 tsp
- Water: 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Wash and peel eggplants. Chop into medium-sized cubes. Transfer into pressure cooker with 1/2 cup water, 1/2 tsp salt and cook on high heat for 2 whistles.
- Release the pressure, strain the water & mash it with the masher.
- Take a wok, add oil, once hot, add heeng, cumin seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add green chili, onion and saute for 2 mins.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till raw smell of garlic fades away and till onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, peas, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt, mix well and cook it covered for 5 mins.
- Once oil starts separating, add mashed eggplants, mix well. Cover and cook for 5-6 mins. Keep stirring in between.
- Add a tbsp of ghee, mix well and cook for another 3-4 mins.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot :).