Poha with any ingredient is a simple, quick and tasty breakfast/snack option loved by all. It is very convenient to make with simple everyday ingredients. A simple tempering and veggies like onions, tomatoes and capsicum transform the bread cubes into a scrumptious dish. So now when you are hungry, have bread and veggies at home and looking for quick recipe you know what to make ;).
If you are looking for more breakfast recipes, do check Pav Bhaji(Mashed & Spicy Vegetables Curry with Buttery Bread Rolls), Mango Milkshake, Veggie Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Steamed Idli/South Indian Rice Cake Recipe, Dal Ka Paratha/Lentil Flatbread, Namkeen Daliya/Vegetable Broken Wheat(Indian Porridge), Kanda Batata Poha/Flattened Rice with Onions & Potatoes, Pesarattu/Green Moong Lentil Dosa(Indian Crepes), Banana-Vanilla Milkshake Recipe:, Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese Grilled Sandwich, Semiya(Sevia)/Vermicelli Upma-Indian Style, Veggie Chilli Cheese Toast.
Recipe Type: Breakfast/Snacks
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- White/Brown bread slices: 6 , cut into small cubes
- Cooking Oil: 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves: 5-6
- Onion: 1 small onion, sliced
- Tomato: 1 small, finely chopped
- Capsicum: 3/4 cup, chopped into small cubes
- Green Chili: 1-2, slit
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander/Cilantro: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Diluted milk & water: 1/4 cup, to sprinkle on bread cubes
- Salt to taste
- Remove edges from the bread, cut bread into small cubes.
- Sprinkle dilutes milk & water on these bread cubes, mix cubes gently and keep aside. This helps to keep bread pieces soft and moist. Don’t sprinkle too much of this mixture else final outcome of poha will be mushy.
- Heat the oil in a wok, once hot add mustard seeds, curry leaves and let them sizzle.
- Add green chili, sliced onions and saute on medium flame for 2-3 mins.
- Add capsicum and saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add tomato, turmeric powder, salt and mix well, cover the lid for 1-2 mins.
- Remove the lid, add red chili powder, garam masala powder, mix well and fry till oil starts separating.
- Add bread cubes, mix gently till masala gets coats nicely on bread pieces and cook on a medium flame for 4-5 mins, keep stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot and enjoy with hot cuppa of masala tea and sprinkle some mixture on top of poha for that slight crunch ;).