These parathas are one of the healthy, nutritious, tasty and quick breakfast recipe and the best thing about these parathas is that you are able to utilize the leftover dal ;). But personally I love these parathas, so I intentionally make extra bowl of dal previous night and prepare them next morning. Kids also love these parathas, just spread some cheese spread or mango pickle.
There are two different ways of making Dal ke parathe, one by usually stuffing the boiled dal, fried with few spices and another one is to knead the boiled lentil into the dough itself with spices. Both taste equally good but the later one is simpler and I often end up making this one for breakfast. Throw some chopped onions, cilantro and few spices in leftover dal and whole wheat flour and you are done for a wholesome and delicious parathas. These parathas taste best when hot and crispy and serve it with pickle, curd or any curry of your choice. If you are looking for more breakfast/brunch recipe’s do try Pav Bhaji(Mashed & Spicy Vegetables Curry with Buttery Bread Rolls), Veggie Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Steamed Idli/South Indian Rice Cake Recipe, Veggie Chilli Cheese Toast, Kanda Batata Poha/Flattened Rice with Onions & Potatoes, Pesarattu/Green Moong Lentil Dosa(Indian Crepes), Aloo Paratha/ Whole wheat bread stuffed with spicy potato mixture, Gobhi Paratha/Whole Wheat Bread Stuffed with Spicy Cauliflower Mixture, Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese Grilled Sandwich, Namkeen Daliya/Vegetable Broken Wheat(Indian Porridge), Paper Dosa/South Indian Thin Crepe Recipe. Let’s get started.
Recipe Type: Breakfast/Brunch
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Serves: 2-3 person
- Leftover Arahar/Toor Dal- 1 cup (cooked with 2 cups of water, turmeric and salt)
- Whole wheat flour: 2 cups
- Luke warm water: 1/2 cup or less/more depending on the floor quantity
- Onion: 1 medium-sized, finely chopped
- Green Chili: 1, finely chopped
- Coriander/Cilantro: Handful, finely chopped
- Kasuri Methi/Dry Fenugreek Leaves: Crushed, 1 tbsp
- Ajwain/Carom seeds: 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for roasting
- Transfer cooked dal to a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, salt, red chili powder, ajwain, garam masala powder, onion, green chili, coriander leaves and kasuri methi.
- Start kneading with the help of water. Knead till smooth dough. Add more flour if dough seems too sticky.
- Keep aside for 10-15 mins. Make small dough balls of equal size.
- Dust the dough ball with dry wheat flour and roll each dough ball into a circle and roast on a griddle/tawa on a medium flame, flipping and applying oil on both the sides and roast till both the sides are golden brown in color.
- Serve hot, crunchy and toothsome parathas with any gravy, pickle or curd. Enjoy !!!