Mangori/Bari are sun-dried small lentil cakes or nuggets. These are prepared by soaking, grinding lentils and then few spices are added into it to give taste and flavors. My mom and mom-in-law both prepares fresh batches of mangodi at home every summers.
Mangodi aloo is a speciality of Rajasthan & Uttar Pradesh. This dish is made with mangodi, aloo,tomatoes along with few Indian spices and is slightly thick consistency. This curry taste best with hot chapatis or steamed rice. Let’s get started.
Cuisine: Indian/Rajasthani/Uttar Pradesh
Recipe Type: Main course
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- Moong Dal Mangodi: 1/2 cup
- Potatoes: 1-2 medium-sized, cut into cubes
- Tomato: 1-2 medium-sized, finely chopped/puree
- Green Chili: 2, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1″ knob, finely chopped.
- Coriander/Cilantro: Finely chopped
- Zeera/Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Heeng/asafoetida: 1/3 tsp
- Cooking Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Dry Mango Powder: 1-2 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tbsp
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2-1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Water: 1 cup
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add heeng, cumin seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add mangodi, fry till they become golden-brown in color.
- Add tomato, green chili, ginger and fry for a minute or two.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, salt, garam masala powder and saute till oil starts separating from the masala.
- Add potatoes and stir for a minute again.
- Add water and mix well. Adjust salt if required.
- Now pressure cook on medium heat till 5-6 whistles. Turn off the gas.
- Once the pressure gets released, open the lid, slightly and gently mash the curry to give a slightly thick consistency. Don’t be too harsh while mashing else all the mangodi and potatoes will get completely mashed.
- Add dry mango powder and give it a boil on medium heat without the lid for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with chapati or steamed rice and enjoy !!!
- Pressure cooking time will depend on the size of potatoes cubes and quality of mangodis.
- You can add lime juice instead of dry mango powder.
- You can also add mutter/green peas in the curry while pressure cooking.