Chowmein is one of the most popular Indian street food. Hakka noodles is the result of the adoption of Chinese cuisine to suit the Indian palette. This kind of fusion cooking is often referred as Indo-Chinese cuisine. Veg Hakka noodles recipe is a simple one and requires continuous stir frying over the high heat to get a desired taste. The shredded chicken or scrambled egg can also be added in this recipe to make it more healthy and tasty and on the other hand the veggies provide the crunch to the dish and makes it a complete one-pot meal.
I have so many childhood memories of eating chowmein. I think every kid loves chowmein, but don’t like veggies in them ;), at least I didn’t like so many veggies in it. I remember my aunt making chowmein for me only with onions and few sauces. I still remember the taste of that chowmein and my mom’s angry look after seeing chowmein and that too without veggies :), she used to tell my aunt why she pamper me so much but i guess that’s what aunt’s are for. But with time I started liking it with lots of veggies because of the crunch and flavor they add to the dish.
Let’s get started to make Veg Hakka noodles in few simple steps.
Recipe Type: Street Food
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 10-15 Mins
- 2 packets of Ching’s veg noodles (or any brand of your choice)
- Olive Oil: 2-3 tbsp (Or any cooking oil)
- Garlic cloves: 2, minced
- Onion: 1 medium-sized, finely sliced
- Cabbage: 1 cup, finely chopped
- Green pepper/Capsicum: 1 small, finely sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp green chili sauce
- 2-3 cups of water
- Take a pan, add water, let it come to boil. Add little salt, few drops of oil and noodles.
- Boil the noodles till almost 3/4 cooked, be careful not to over cook.
- Once noodles are done, strain the noodles in a colander and run them under cold water.
- Drizzle few drops of oil over boiled noodles, toss them and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Add garlic and cook for few seconds.
- Add onions and saute for a min.
- Add carrot, green pepper and cook for 1-2 mins on high heat, keep stirring continuously.
- Add cabbage and toss again for few seconds.
- Add the boiled noodles to the veggies.
- Add salt,pepper powder, soy sauce, vinegar, green chili sauce and toss to mix throughly.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Turn off the flame.
- Serve hot and enjoy this toothsome noodles !!!