Mutter paneer is one of the popular and toothsome paneer gravy from North India. Paneer and green peas are simmered in spicy and creamy onion-tomato gravy with few other Indian spices. There are many variations we can bring in this dish and the recipe I am sharing is my favorite. The color and creamy texture of this gravy comes from addition of cashews, milk and kashmiri red chili powder, i have not used any color in this dish.
A perfect vegetarian gravy with chapati/naan or zeera rice/steamed rice. If you are looking for more paneer recipes do check Palak Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese in Spinach Gravy, Paneer(Cottage Cheese) Butter Masala/Paneer Makhani, Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese Grilled Sandwich. So let’s get started.
Cuisine: North Indian, Indian
Recipe Type: Main course
Prep Time: 10-15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- Paneer cubes: 1 cup
- Mutter: 1/2 cup (fresh or frozen)
- Onion: 1, roughly chopped
- Tomato: 2 , roughly chopped
- Green Chili: 2
- Ginger: 1 tsp, chopped
- Garlic: 1 tsp, chopped
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder: 1-2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1-2 tsp
- Garam masala powder (Homemade Garam Masala Powder Recipe): 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Kasuri Methi/Dry fenugreek leaves: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves: 2 tbsp
- Diluted milk: 1 cup( 3/4 milk & 1/4 water)
- Cashews: 6-8
- Oil: 2-3 tbsp
- Bay leaf: 2
- Cinnamon stick: 2
- Heat oil in a pan, add cashews and fry for 30 seconds. Add chopped onions, garlic, ginger and saute them till onions are slightly golden in color.
- Add green chilies, tomatoes, turmeric, salt and saute them till tomatoes become mushy.
- Once tomatoes are done, switch off the flame and allow it to cool off.
- Add this mixture in a blender and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, once hot add bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and saute for few seconds.
- Add cumin seeds, once they start to splutter, add onion-tomato paste and saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and saute for 3-4 mins till you see paste releasing the oil.
- Lower the flame, add diluted milk and mix well. Let it simmer on low flame for 4-5 mins.
- Add peas, mix and let it cook for another 1-2 mins.
- Add paneer cubes and mix gently. Let it cook for 3-4 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Add kasuri methi, mix and let it cook for few more minutes.
- Once gravy has creamy and thick consistency, it’s the indication your gravy is done.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with any bread or rice of your choice. Enjoy !!!
- You can fry paneer cubes before adding to the gravy.
- If you don’t want gravy to be too creamy, you can reduce the quantity of cashews and milk.
- You can make this dish without onion-garlic as well. Taste may vary slightly.