A perfect, healthy and versatile South Indian breakfast, which is now famous across Indian homes. Hot, soft and spongy idli’s along with sambhar or Coconut-Coriander Chutney/Dip Recipe is one the most loved and frequent breakfast at my home. You require very few ingredients to make these idli. First and foremost ingredient is fermented idli-dosa batter. Now a days ready-made batter is easily available in the grocery stores. Though nothing can beat the taste of idli or dosa made with fresh homemade batter recipe here Idli(Steamed rice cake)/Dosa(South Indian Thin Crepe) Homemade Batter Recipe.
If you are looking for more breakfast recipes then do check Veggie Chilli Cheese Toast, Blueberry Muffins Recipe, Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese Grilled Sandwich, Namkeen Daliya/Vegetable Broken Wheat(Indian Porridge), Semiya(Sevia)/Vermicelli Upma-Indian Style, Kanda Batata Poha/Flattened Rice with Onions & Potatoes, Pesarattu/Green Moong Lentil Dosa(Indian Crepes), Paper Dosa/South Indian Thin Crepe Recipe, Gobhi Paratha/Whole Wheat Bread Stuffed with Spicy Cauliflower Mixture, Aloo Paratha/ Whole wheat bread stuffed with spicy potato mixture.
So let’s get started.
Cuisine: South Indian/Indian
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15-20 mins
- Idli batter
- Salt to taste
- Little water
- Oil for greasing idli plates
- In a mixing bowl, take batter (depending upon the no.s of idli you want to prepare), add salt and little water. Mix well, batter should be of thick consistency not watery.
- Take a idli cooker/wide open deep bottom pan with lid, fill it with a 1-2 cup of water. Close the lid and let it start boiling.
- Grease the idli plates with oil and fill them 3/4 with idli batter.
- Place the idli tray in the idli cooker and cover it with the lid and let it cook for 15-20 mins on medium high flame.
- Insert a toothpick or knife to check if the idli’s are cooked through. If it comes out clean then turn off the flame else let it cook for another 5-7 mins.
- Once cooked, remove the idli tray from the pot and let it cool for couple of mins.
- Remove the idli’s from the plate and transfer it into casserole/hot case.
- Serve hot and spongy idli with sambhar or coconut chutney Enjoy !!!