Bhature is a tasty, fried Indian puffed leavened bread made from All purpose flour/Maida. Oh this combination of chole-bhature is just superb. There is no alternative of bhature when it comes to chole, though it can be served with tandori roti, kulchas or naan but bhature beats them all. Chole bhature is one of the most loved street food in India, esp North India and also the most loved food by my husband. He simple loves eating chole bhature at any time of the week ;).
Yesterday I made chole-bhature for dinner and I published the recipe of Chana Masala/ Garbanzo Beans-Indian Curry Recipe. I wanted to publish recipe of bhature as well along with chole but due to time constraint couldn’t finish writing the recipe. So here is the recipe of soft & yummy bhature a day later ;). Lot of recipes uses yeast to ferment the dough, but the recipe I am sharing is yeast free. But yes you need to give 4-5 hours rest to the dough before frying bhaturas. So let’s get started:
Cuisine: Indian, North Indian
Recipe Type: Indian Bread
Prep Time: 15 Mins + 4-5 hrs resting time
Cook Time: 10 Mins
Serves: 4 person
- 2 Cups Maida/All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp fine semolina/sooji
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1.5 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 cup oil for frying
- Little water
- In a mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, curd, semolina and salt.
- Combine all the ingredients and adding very little water to knead a smooth dough.
- Put few drops of oil on a dough and knead it again to get soft & silky texture.
- Now cover the mixing bowl top with cling film and let it rest for 4-5 hours (do not keep in the refrigerator).
- Once the dough is rested, it will become more soft and fluffy.
- Knead the dough again and divide it into lemon size ball. Though the size of the balls can be adjusted according to the size of the bhature you want.
- Place a ball on a rolling board & start rolling into 4-5 inch oblong disc. While rolling I have not used dry maida but if dough is too sticky , you can dust the rolling board with some flour.
- On the other hand, heat oil in a deep bottom frying pan/kadhai.
- Once oil is hot, put bhature in oil and fry till both the sides are nice golden in color.
- Remove bhature and keep them on tissue paper to drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with delicious chole and enjoy!!
- For frying bhature, oil should be hot enough else bhature will not puff and will soak more oil.