Gobhi paratha is a delicious Indian flat bread stuffed with spicy cauliflower filling, which is easy to make and tastes great with yogurt/pickles or chutney. Makes great breakfast, lunch or dinner, stuffed parathas have always been cherished in our family esp in winters with a hot cup of tea/coffee and gobhi paratha is my favorite among all the stuffed parathas :).
Gobhi parathas are usually made in 2 ways either by stuffing the grated cauliflower mixture in the dough or other way is by cooking the grated cauliflower with few spices and then stuff it. The recipe which I am sharing is made by cooking the grated cauliflower.
Let’s get started with my recipe and serve these hot, scrumptious Gobhi Paratha with any pickle or dip of your choice.
Cuisine: Indian, North-Indian
Recipe Type: Breads, Breakfast
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Serves: 2-3 people
Level of cooking: Easy
- Whole wheat flour-2 cups
- Oil-1 tbsp
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Water to knead
- Grated cauliflower-2 cups
- Green chili-1, finely chopped
- Ginger 1 tsp,grated
- Coriander leaves-2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Garam masala powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Red chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds or Carom Seeds-1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of heeng/asafoetida
- Oil for frying
- Mix flour, salt and oil in a bowl and mix well.
- Add little water at a time and knead to make a soft dough.
- Cover it and let it rest for 15-20 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan, add heeng, cumin or carom seeds, green chili, ginger and mix well.
- Add grated cauliflower, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder and sauté well for 3-4 mins.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander leaves and sauté again for 4-5 mins. Image of the cooked filing is shown in the collage below for reference.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 equal portions.
- Dust and roll the dough ball into a 5″ disc.
- Put 2 tbsp of filing in the center and bring the corners together as shown in the collage below.
- Dust again with dry flour and gently roll to make a 6″ disc as shown below.
- Heat a griddle, once its hot, put the paratha on it.
- Cook till brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Apply oil and cook the parathas till golden brown from both the sides.
- Press the parathas while cooking with the back of the ladle for make it crisp.
- Serve hot with dollop of butter, yogurt and pickle.
- Let the stuffing gets cooled completely before you start filing the parathas.
- The dough should be soft and smooth.
- Adding heeng and carom seeds helps in easy digestion of these parathas.