Aloo gobhi is one of the most common and popular side-dish prepared in almost every home in India. It is made with a combination of potato, cauliflower cooked and seasoned with typical Indian spices and spruce up with common ingredients like ginger, green chilies, garlic and coriander leaves.
I have so many childhood memories attached to it, we used to carry this dish with pooris in family picnic or train/bus journey :). Aloo gobhi is a very versatile dish-goes well with chapatis, pooris, parathas or simple dal-rice.
So let’s start the recipe of this tasty and colorful dish.
Cuisine: Indian, North Indian
Recipe type: Side-dish
Prep time: 10-15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Level of cooking: Easy
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled & cut into pieces.
- 2-3 cups medium-sized cauliflower florets
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chili chopped
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur/dry mango powder
- Pinch of heeng/asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pan. Add heeng and cumin seeds once they start to splutter add ginger-garlic paste and sauté till raw fragrance goes.
- Add onions, sauté till golden brown.
- Add the potatoes, cauliflower, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well, cover the lid and cook on low flame. Keep staring in between so that pieces doesn’t get burn.
- When veggies are half-cooked, add tomato paste and mix again. Cook again for 3-4 mins until soft not mushy.
- Add the spice powders-red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, amchur. Mix again until all masala’s are well combined with veggies. Cook till the spice powder don’t smell raw anymore.
- Roast nicely, once veggies is soft switch off the gas.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with chapatis, or with dal-rice.
- You can add peas to this dish as well.
- Keep gobhi and aloo pieces medium-sized, else if they will be too small,end result if sabzi will be mushy.
- Leftover of this sabzi can be used for making stuffed sandwich or stuffed paratha, trust me it taste yum.