Vermicelli upma is healthy, delicious, light on tummy and easy to make breakfast recipe. It is prepared with vermicelli, mixed vegetables and some dry spices, which makes it a feast for eyes and stomach.
We, Indians mostly love our breakfast hot and savory. So let’s get started with this very basic and simple recipe of vermicelli upma. It is definitely slightly different from the typical process of making this upma, but trust me it comes out very well and non-sticky. We can do many variations with different vegetables and spices.
Cuisine: Indian, South-Indian
Recipe type: Breakfast, Snacks
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15-20 mins
Level of cooking: Easy
- 2 tsp of Oil/Ghee
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of urad dal
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste (optional)
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized potato cut into small pieces
- 1 carrot chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup of green peas (Fresh/frozen)
- 1 cup of roasted Vermicelli/Semiya
- 2-3 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (Optional)
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garam masala powder (optional)
- 3 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Take a cooking vessel. Add 2-3 cups of water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp oil and bring it to boil.
- Once water starts boiling, add roasted vermicelli in water and let it boil for 5-6 mins on medium flame, until they are soft. (Refer notes below)
- Pour the soft vermicelli in medium-sized strainer and run it under a cold water for few seconds.
- Take a pan, put oil/ghee. Add mustard seeds, once they start to splutter add curry leaves, urad dal and dry red chilies. Sauté well for a minute.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute again for a minute.
- Add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add potatoes, carrot and green peas along with turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cover the pan for 8-10 mins on medium flame. Sauté in between so that they don’t get burn.
- Add red chili powder and garam masala powder. Sauté well and cover again for 5 mins.
- Add boiled vermicelli to the cooked veggies and mix gently.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice, mix well and turn off the gas. Cover the lid and let it rest for 5 mins before serving, as it will add to the flavors in vermicelli.
- Serve hot and enjoy it with any of your favorite beverage.
- While boiling vermicelli/semiya, keep a watch on time and semiya, as if you will leave it to boil for long or leave in boiling water for long it will become mushy and it won’t come out well after mixing with vegetables.
- I prefer buying roasted vermicelli pack, as it save my time to roast before making.
- Adding turmeric powder is optional, I have added as my husband like it this way rather than white in color :).